Golden Milk Latte
Main ingredient for this delicious fulfilling and healing latte? Turmeric.
- Plant cousin to ginger, it has been a staple in Indian and Chinese food and medicine, used n Ayuverda and Traditional Chinese and Siddic medicinal traditions.
- Turmeric is a blood purifier, reduces fat,aides digestion,skin disorders,arthritis,diabetes and immune deficiencies.
- As an anti-inflammatory helps with back pain,muscle aches,cramping,and joints.
- It has been extensively studied for its potential anti-cancer action and its ability to prevent tumor growth and metastases.
It is available as ground powder but you will also be able to find it whole as a root. Fresh turmeric should be free of dark spots and should be crisp. You can store it in the refrigerator and will last fresh for up to a month, if you would like to keep it longer you can chop or slice it place it on an air-tight container and will last up to 3 months.
Try to buy it organic since organic grown spices are less likely to be irradiated .
My favorite Turmeric recipe is The Golden Milk Latte, when all the spices are combined and the drink is hot it's so yummy and fulfilling! The latte is a 2 step process.
- 1/4 cup of ground Turmeric
- 1/2 cup of water
Combine and bring it to a simmer. It should have the consistency of a paste if you need to add water add. Let it cool down and store it in the fridge.
Golden Milk Latte
1 cup of unsweet coconut,rice,almond milk
- 1/4-1/2 tsp of Turmeric paste
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla beans or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of cinammon
- Raw honey,maple syrup,coconut sugar or any substitute you use
Mix the Turmeric paste,coconut oil black pepper,vanilla,honey/or substitute and cinnamon in the bottom of a cup then pour the hot milk over it mix and let it rest for 2 minutes. Stir, sprinkle some cinnamon and enjoy!
- Its been found that Turmeric is rapidly metabolized by the liver and the intestines and its medical properties won't be as effective unless is consumed with black pepper so make sure when you use it to add black pepper to fully gain its medicinal value.
Turmeric is very versatile and can be used in numerous dishes. I love playing with spices and since I started getting more knowledge about spices my love for Indian food has been growing. They use so many spices in every dish that when you eat you just feel like an explosion of flavor with every bite!
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup of gold raisins
- 1/4 of cashews
- 1 tsp of olive oil/sesame oil/coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric,cumin,coriander and salt
- dash of black pepper
Mix the 2 cups of rice with all the condiments, in a saucepan pre-heat the oil of your choice once is hot add the raisins and cashews until gold, add to the rice and serve.
You can sprinkle some fresh cilantro for extra taste and some lime also.